Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The Scares of Senior Year

Image result for ohio northern university commencementThis year marks a very strange time in my life. I have officially started my senior year at Ohio Northern University and I honestly don’t know what to think. On one hand, I very excited that I am going to graduate from college and enter the real world, but on the other hand I am kind of bummed out because I am not ready to stop hanging out with my friends every day and partying basically whenever I want. While most of my friends and peers in my class will be seeking their first professional employment soon after graduating, I will be running away to graduate school to push off entering the real world as long as possible. While getting a graduate degree will definitely help me further in my professional career, it will also give me time to figure out truly what I want to do as a career. 

Image result for freedom at workOver the course of my internship last summer I worked with many people that had been working at the same company for 30, 40 or even 50 years and that honestly scares the crap out of me. I could not imagine working at the same place for that long doing the same job day after day, year after year. In fact, this sounds like a living hell to me and would drive me insane long before I made it anywhere close to the 30- or 40-year mark. I want the type of career that allows working at one place for 5 to 10 years and then move on to a bigger and better company that can offer me a higher pay and more responsibilities, but most importantly a change of scenery whether it’s on the other side of town as my last job or on the other side of the country. The most important thing to me in my life right now is the ability to live free and happy and go where ever life takes me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, Nick. I too am excited but also sad to see my time at Ohio Northern coming to an end. I too don't want to stay in the same job for too long, however one thing I learned at my internship at Marathon Petroleum in Findlay, Ohio is that many companies also don't want you staying in the same position for that long. Often times, they want you to explore new options within the company as well and further advance your career. Best of luck to you as you tackle graduate school and beyond!

    ReplyDelete