Sunday, March 17, 2019

Using Twitter to Find New Music

Twitter has become one of the most popular social media platforms in the entire world. Every day, millions of people use the website for a variety of different reasons. For many, the main reason is to stay connected with friends, others use it as a means to look at funny videos or tweets and some even use it as their primary news source. While all these are valid reasons for using the site, the main reason I use Twitter every day is to discover new music that I have never heard before. Twitter is great for discovering new music because many of my friends will post tweets with new artists or songs that I would have never found on my own. Twitter also allows me to follow my favorite artists to stay up to date on album releases and tour dates. 


There are about 20 different accounts I follow specifically for finding new music. Many of these accounts are owned by people I grew up and have many of the same interests I have. Music is something that we have all bonded over as we grew up and any time one of us heard a new song or artist we made sure to let the others know. Before Twitter came around, many of us were even part of a group text message that was created with the sole purpose of sharing music. Once Twitter became popular, many of my friends started sharing their music recommendations here so people outside of the group chat could also see the new music. A couple of these pages became very popular in the New Buffalo area and became the go-to source for new and popular music. 

Following an artist’s Twitter page is one of the best most direct forms of contact you can
have with them. One of the first artists I ever followed on Twitter was Wiz Khalifa. I started following his Twitter page my freshman year of high school and he continues to be one of my favorite artists today. I believe a substantial amount of Wiz Khalifa’s popularity and acceptance can be attributed to his use of Twitter to promote his music and concert dates. Many aspiring artists do not have the financial means to professionally promote their music, so Twitter offers them a great opportunity to get information out to both current and prospective fans. Artists can also use Twitter to share intimate information that they might not have the opportunity to share over conventional media outlets. This type of information might include pictures of their family, tweets about what’s going on in their life or anything else the artist might want to share. When an artist shares this kind of information it allows their followers to connect with them on a much more personal level.

1 comment:

  1. So many people are on Twitter so it’s genius that many would share content like music on a platform like this. It’s also a great way for artists to get their name out.

    ReplyDelete